Tuesday, September 26, 2006

What a Tackle!


In the middle of the project:

After the project was done:

This project became a family project. Our dining room chairs desperately needed recovering. The old country plaid was beyond cleaning and starting to get holes on the edges. The project involved removing the seats from the chairs and then removing the old fabric. This was a huge undertaking - the manufacturer used a kazillian staples which were not easy to remove. While the chairs were apart, two of our boys helped clean the wood frames with Murphy's Oil Soap and my husband made sure they were tight. After removing the fabric, my husband beveled the edges of the plywood and then I cut out batting and fabric that was left from when I made our curtains several years back. After recovering the seats, my husband scotch guarded them and reassembled the chairs. All three of our boys helped with this project which took the better part of Saturday and a couple of hours on Sunday afternoon. I forgot to take the before pictures of the really ugly seats.

Thanks to 5 Minutes for Mom for hosting Tackle it Tuesday! Check out their blog for more completed projects and inspiration to Tackle it, whatever your "IT" is.

6 comments:

Erna said...

It's amazing how changing the covers on chairs can give them quite a face lift, not to mention a new zest to the room. It's great you had a lot of helping hands along the way too!

eph2810 said...

They look awesome with the new covering :) - Thank you for sharing.

mira said...

What a great project to tackle. How wonderful that others in your family helped too. Looks great!

Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) said...

WOW! what a great project - and how fun that it included the family! :)

Headmistress, zookeeper said...

Looks gorgeous!

Ladybug said...

The chairs look great!! I wish my dad could finish a project that fast.